Monday 3 February 2014

Interview with Elizabeth Bath

Hamilton House will be hosting another workshop on Monday 10th February, run by Gillian Thompson and Elizabeth Bath who will be showing you an introduction to etching! As drypoint etching is such a specific printmaking technique-using a needle-like pen to incise an image into a metal plate-this is a very exciting opportunity to have a go at such an interesting way of creating beautiful, detailed images and learn about the etching process. I love the timeless quality etchings give with their black and white tones and such an interesting texture: 


Elizabeth Bath answers a few questions about her etching, have a read and sign up to her workshop by clicking on the 'workshops' tab of this blog. 

Could you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work, what sort of art do you make?

I have recently finished an MA in printmaking at UWE, and am now continuing with my practice at Spike Print Studio. I am an arts worker at Art + Power in Bristol and run etching workshops in the local area.

Do you solely work with etching or do you work in any other creative fields?

I have always enjoyed drawing (and my degree was in Drawing and Applied Arts). I particularly like working collaboratively, and love it when people come together to work on a project.

What is your earliest recollection of making an etching and what made you want to do more?

I started etching towards the end of my degree, and found it a very calming process. I really enjoyed the slow, gentle pace.

What inspires you and are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?

I am inspired by quiet places. Much of my work involves leaving etching plates outside in remote locations.



Which other artists do you admire?

I am totally in awe of Lois and Franziska Weinberger. They have brilliant ideas, which are both funny and serious.

Etching is made up of lots of different processes, which aspect do you enjoy the most?

I like being in a print studio, talking to people and learning from them.



Elizabeth Bath and Gillian Thompson will be running their workshop on 10th February from 10am-1pm for £30 at Hamilton House, 80 Stokes Croft BS1 3QY

- Sacha 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.