Wednesday 29 January 2014

Interview with Katharina Nyilas

With the opening of her Into the Forest exhibition only a week away, perhaps you would like to find about more about the talented Bristol based artist. 
In a short interview, Katharina tells us about her work as an illustrator and printmaker- don't forget Katharina is running wildlife-themed workshops next week where you will have a chance to try botanical monoprinting and book binding, as well as other exciting workshops run with other Bristol artists. Find out more on the 'workshops' tab on this blog. 

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work

I work in Bristol as an illustrator, printmaker and creative workshop coordinator.
Nature, wildlife and our environment inspires most of my work, which I believe is of vital importance. My illustrative work is intricate detailed and delicate, which is why I love to explore with screen printing, which by the nature of the process creates much stronger bolder shapes and lines allowing my work to make a different impact.



What inspires you? Are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?

The influence and control people have over our environment intrigues me and I like to research different aspects of this whether it happens to be regarding fishing policies, our urban wildlife, pollution or poaching. I am also interested in re-using and recycling materials and so far have been experimenting with utilizing them in my printmaking. I have used found wood, fabrics and ripped sheets of billboard, which I have found hanging billowing in the wind and littering the ground.

Could you give us an insight into where you work; your studio/workspace and where you print?

I have a studio space at Hamilton House in the drawn in Bristol studio, giving me access to screen-printing facilities and a very useful A3 scanner. I prefer to work in the studio opposed to working at home as it allows me to separate my work from home life.



How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?

At the moment I am experimenting with screen-printing and different found materials to work with. I would like to carry on experimenting with screen-printing for the time being as it is such as versatile technique. Almost anything can be printed onto, which suits me as I enjoy making my own illustrated products, which will be available to purchase from my exhibition ‘Into the forest’ from the 6th Feb at 6 pm. In the future I may take up a printmaking course and learn other processes.




Keep checking the blog to read more interviews on the other Bristol artists co-ordinating workshops next week. Katharina's prints will be available for purchase at the opening of her exhibition on 6th February 6-9pm at Hamilton House in Stokes Croft.

- Sacha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.